International technology, media and telecoms law firm Olswang and national charity Career Ready today jointly hosted London female students at their annual International Women’s Day event, which seeks to inspire young women by providing practical career advice from some of the country's leading female business women. This year, the event was held in conjunction with CMS and Nabarro, leading international law firms with which Olswang will combine as of 1 May 2017.
At this year’s seventh annual event entitled ‘Masterclass: make connections, get ahead!’, more than 70 Career Ready students from schools across London gathered at Olswang’s London office to hear career tips from female leaders at an array of well-known companies and organisations, including:
- Kathy Atkinson, Legal Director, Kettle Foods Ltd.
- Alison Baum, CEO, Best Beginnings
- Stella Beaumont, Non-Executive Director, Nabarro
- Susan Chiappinelli, VP, Patents Pharma Platforms, GlaxoSmithKline
- Patricia Wick Christias, Head of Legal, Microsoft Limited
- Sarah Davis, Group Commercial Legal Director, Guardian Media Group plc
- Louise Gellman, IP & IT Partner, Nabarro (host)
- Andrea Grossman, Director, Talking Talent
- Samantha Jukes-Adams, Senior Vice President Scripted Production, NBCU Intl Studios
- Ruth Marken, Partner, Olswang
- Jenny Tooth, Chief Executive, UK Business Angels Association
- Penelope Warne, Senior Partner and Head of Energy, CMS
- Sarah Wright, Partner and Head of Trade Marks, Olswang (host)
Career Ready is the national charity that links schools and colleges with employers to open up the world of work to young people. Anne Spackman, Chief Executive of the charity, said: “This is an inspirational and impactful experience for our young London students. They learn to network and present to the kinds of professional women they might one day become.”
Olswang Partner and Head of Trade Marks Sarah Wright, who hosted the event, said: "It has been wonderful to be able to share the morning with a group of ambitious young women who are just starting out on their career journeys. I hope that the tips and strategies they learnt today from our inspirational female clients will help them to win their place at university or college or secure their first job."
CMS Senior Partner and Head of Energy Penelope Warne commented: “We need to pay more attention to the next generation. One of my priorities is to lead a business that has a supportive and encouraging culture where the careers of all can thrive. It is very important to consider how we can inspire, encourage and support young female students as they embark on the career journey and I was delighted to participate in this event.”
Nabarro IT & IP Partner Louise Gellman said: “Today’s young women will change the face of business tomorrow. I have no doubt the amazing female leaders we have heard from today will inspire this next generation. I can’t wait to see what they will achieve.”
CMS, Nabarro and Olswang are united in their vision, culture and values and strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, and look forward to combining our skills and thoughts around our extensive diversity and CR programmes. For example, CMS recently led a phenomenal fundraising campaign for War Child in which the firm raised over £500,000 for War Child over the lifetime of the partnership, and last spring, Olswang exceeded the fundraising target of £100,000 for the firm's UK charity partner, Carers Trust. Nabarro also raised over £90,000 for Carers Trust and St Luke’s Hospice last year. The firms look forward to working together and build on our commitment to ensuring that we have strong and sustainable Corporate Responsibility and Diversity programmes in place.
Learn more about Olswang's commitment to being a responsible business at www.wearecr.com.
For more information or to set up an interview please contact:
Head of Communications
020 7067 3775
Notes to editors:
Olswang LLP is an international law firm and a European and Asian leader in technology, media, telecommunications and real estate. The firm comprises of almost 700 people including 100 partners, across six international offices. Olswang is part of a 'best friends' network of leading independent law firms throughout the world.
CMS, Nabarro and Olswang combination: CMS UK LLP, Nabarro and Olswang will combine on 1 May 2017, creating the sixth largest law firm in the UK. The new firm will have 450 partners and over 2,500 lawyers in the UK. This combination will deliver a distinctive, technology-driven offering to clients, bringing together best in class sector specialists with outstanding global reach, underpinned by a 250 year heritage in the City and Scotland.
About Career Ready
- Career Ready is a national charity that links schools and colleges with employers to help prepare young people for the world of work.
- The programme is built on four pillars which give students regular contact with working people and places: face-to-face mentoring by someone in work; masterclasses to help develop key skills and attitudes needed in their future career; workplace visits that provide a behind-the-scenes glimpse of local and national employers; and work-based experiences and internships to allow students to put their learning into practice in a real work environment.
- We currently work with nearly 200 schools and colleges across the UK, largely in urban areas of social need. More than 700 employers and approximately 4,000 employer volunteers deliver the programme and sit on the local business boards, set up around each centre to create a sustainable connection to the local employment market.
- 97% of our 2013 and 2014 students went on to a positive destination, of whom 25% went into work or work-based training, 54% are at university (often the first in their family to go on to higher education) and 21% are in further education.
- Career Ready is cited as an example of best practice for employer engagement in the latest statutory government guidance for both schools and colleges, as well as in the latest CBI Scotland report, Delivering Excellence - A New Approach for Schools in Scotland.
- 20% of businesses who support us have recruited at least one student they met through the Career Ready programme; 80% of businesses state they would employ a Career Ready student as a result of their experience.
For more information on Career Ready, contact:
Communications Manager, Career Ready
Tel: 020 7986 8255